Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dave Barry Entertains at the Library

Dave Barry 
Authors at the Library
March 19, 2014

Author and humorist Dave Barry was in town last night. He spoke at the library as part of its Authors at the Library series. The place was packed and I was lucky enough to snag a front row seat. 

I figured Mr. Barry would read from his new book of essays, You Can Date Boys When You're Forty, we would all laugh in the right places, he would answer a couple of questions, autograph books, and that would be the evening. 

Instead, to my delight,  I was treated to a 45 minute stand-up comic routine. Mr. Barry stepped on stage, grabbed the microphone, and was off. He was energetic, expressive, and oh so very entertaining.

First up on his list of topics was Miami: a city full of bad drivers and odd crimes. Then he took on North Dakota (he has a sewer plant in Grand Forks named for him); boys who want to hang out with his 14-year-old daughter (he is devising a cage to trap them at the front door); his dogs' inability to change their routine which led to a riff on the TV dog Lassie; his own memory lapses; and the differences between how men and women think (men have about one thought every fifteen minutes whereas women have fifteen hundred). 

Oh, yeah. And we were privy to his experience having a colonoscopy. Too much information? Perhaps, but hilarious all the same.

Mr. Barry is the author of over thirty books including a couple of novels. He wrote a column for the Miami Herald for two decades and won a Pulitzer Prize for Commentary in 1988. He was a member along with Stephen King and Amy Tan of the musical group Rock Bottom Remainders which he says played "hard listening music."

I used to read his columns when they ran in an alternative weekly newspaper here. I also liked watching the television show "Dave's World" which was based on two of his books.

He is a funny man! He had the audience laughing the entire time. It was a great evening. I wish you all could have been there with me!

10 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! Dave Barry is one of my favorite writers, and I wish I could have been with you. Many years ago, one of my co-workers used to photocopy his column and circulate it to anyone who wanted it. I still have a large collection of those columns and reread them every few years. Most of them stand up well to the passing of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy. I hadn't read anything of his for a long time so it was such fun to see him in person. I downloaded from the library e-book collection his "Dave Barry's Greatest Hits" which was published in 1988. I am laughing myself to sleep with it!

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear Belle, how I wish I could have been there. I love Dave Barry, have read several of his books and delighted in his columns, once-upon-a-time, in what was probably the same columns to mention, which were syndicated here in Chicago. The Sunday magazine was the best. I would usually get to Dave Barry first, which Tom would realize when he saw me laughing so hard over something I was crying. I'd forgotten how much I miss those columns - and the wealth of writing we used to get in our newspapers. Thank you for sharing this. A good way to round out my long day. Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Penny. I wish you could have been with me! It has been a long time since I read anything by Mr. Barry but I am now reading his "Greatest Hits" and laughing all the way.

      You are so right about the 'wealth of writing we used to get in our newspapers.' Remember Art Buckwald. He was one of my favorites. My dad and I used to laugh at him over the morning paper.

      Delete
  3. Anyone or anything who / that makes you laugh is a good thing! I miss reading Dave Barry's columns in The Boston Globe years and years ago. It must have been a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joan. I can't get over how entertaining he was! I really had no idea he would be such a performer. And with perfect comedic timing. I am so glad I got to experience him! I also didn't know how prolific he has been. Lots to laugh at and, you are so right, that is a good thing!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun evening. I wish I could have been there. Dave Barry is SO funny! Glad you got to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a hoot, Lark. I am now reading some of his collected columns. I wish I could have written down some of the things he said but his delivery is rapid fire and I was too busy laughing!

      Delete
  5. I'm ready to move to Kentucky. All the good writers seem to go to your library. He is so funny: his column doesn't run in our paper (does he still have one? I'm sure he does), but I've always loved his writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over, Kat. The more the merrier.

      I'm sorry the photo I took is so blurry. The man didn't stand still or else my five-thousand-dollar smart phone is too dumb to take good photos! Anyway, as far as I know, Mr. Barry retired from column writing a couple of years ago. He probably got fed up with the state of the newspaper industry. Fortunately for us, he wrote a column for twenty years so we have plenty to keep us entertained.

      Delete