Sunday, November 25, 2012

Shrinking Violet

Karina Lickorish Quinn
author of Shrinking Violet
I am only going to say this once:

Hie thee to the Amazon website and purchase, for an amazing 99 cents, the ebook Shrinking Violet by Karina Lickorish Quinn.

It is playful and clever and funny and heartbreaking - all in 128 pages. I won't even begin to summarize the plot but it does have to do with young Violet, her family, their crooked house, a white rabbit, a crocodile, The Duchess, and more oddly assorted characters.

I was enchanted with the wonderfully tender relationship between Violet and her grandfather Julius, a haiku-writing recluse. 

And there is cake.

I am not one to read fantasy or books full of quirky folks (they always seem a bit forced) but in the case of Shrinking Violet I was so enthralled with the language and the images that Quinn uses that I laid aside my prejudice and just simply loved the heck out of her story.

It reminded me of the exuberance of the language that is found in The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. 

I have Simon at Stuck in a Book to thank for recommending this high-spirited tale. It is only available as an ebook on Amazon. I don't have a Kindle but I downloaded it to my Android and read it on the small screen. Adored it.


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My only regret is that because it is an ebook I can't lend it to anyone!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I wrote a blip about it on Amazon as well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for these lovely words. I am so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KLQ, thanks for stopping by. I am quite taken with your creative imagination and flights of fancy. I wish you luck with further endeavors.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much. I wish you all the best with your reading and blogging and all else you turn your hand to!

      Delete