Tuesday, September 3, 2013

In Which I Apparently Bit Off More Than I Could Chew



On Friday, I had the pillow plumped and my four books piled handily within reach of my reading chair.

A great start to a weekend of armchair travel, right?

Well, I don't know if you have the same experience, but planning reading for a three-day weekend and actually getting any reading done are two quite different things.

In the time available between sleeping and eating, there are blog posts to write each day; a daily walk and recovery from the walk (the recovery sometimes taking longer than the walk - it was a hot weekend); quite a few naps to fit in; a trip to the farmer's market; a cheer raised for the AAA home team at the final baseball game of the season...with a rain delay; and, snacking and attendant cups of tea. The next thing I knew the weekend was over. 

Not to mention that my concentration begins to wander after about 30 minutes of reading and I find myself strolling into the kitchen for a drink of water or just to stare out the window.

I did get one book read - Sum -all 110 pages of it. I made it half-way through another 250-page book - The Phantom Tollbooth - and managed to read a couple of chapters of a third - The Secret Life of the Seine. The fourth book - by Bill Bryson - I didn't even take out of the pile.

I guess progress was made, but just not as much as I had hoped. So I am still chewing, er, reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment