Friday, June 30, 2017

The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras by J. Michael Orenduff

Image result for the pot thief who studied pythagoras

When I tell you that Hubert Schuze is a pot thief you might think that he goes around stealing marijuana plants. You would be wrong.

Mr. Schuze (pronounced shooze) is a potter. He owns a small shop/home/studio in Old Town Albuquerque, New Mexico. The pots he steals are ones crafted by ancient Native Americans and left buried in the desert. Although, now that the federal government has put the kibosh on digging up artifacts on public land, Hubert must do his digging under cover of night.

He doesn't consider himself a thief as the art he uncovers would remain buried and its beauty unseen and unappreciated. Besides, he feels an affinity with the ancient potters — touching hands across the centuries.

But, when a stranger walks into his shop and offers him $25,000 to steal a rare pot from a local museum, Hubert takes on the job. He needs the money. He cases the joint, comes up with a plan, gets accused of murder, and starts a little sleuthing on his own.

I am crazy about Hubert. He loves margaritas, authentic Mexican food (huevos rancheros and champagne for breakfast anyone?), has a generous heart, is baffled by technology (aren't we all), and has definite opinions about the modern world. I love his rants.

The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras is the first in the mystery series by J. Michael Orenduff. I ordered the first three ebooks in the series as a package deal. I am glad I did. This is one of those books that tells a story, introduces a little history, and is fun. 

As to studying Pythagoras? Well, Hubert's plan to steal the pot from the museum comes to him while reading articles about the ancient mathematician's theorem concerning triangles and the hypotenuse of said triangles. Hmmmm. I am sure we all remember that from high school geometry.

In the next two books, The Pot Thief studies Ptolemy and then Einstein. Ooh. The stars and relativity. Adventures await.

8 comments:

  1. Almost every time I read your blog, you discuss a book or series I've never heard of before, and you make me want to read it! Between you and Danielle of A Work in Progress, I am more than well-supplied with prospective titles. If only I could squeeze in more reading time! Maybe now that the blog redesign is done, I will.

    Another fun-sounding series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy. Great job on your redesign. Clean and very attractive. Love your photo, too! Congratulations on a job well done.

      I have to read fast so I have something to write about here:) I like this new series. Nothing too complicated (Pythagoras's theorem aside) which makes it the perfect bedtime read.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'm glad you like the redesign. I'm still fixing things from the switch over, but at least the main part of it is done.

      My hold on Peter Walsh's Let It Go finally arrived at the library, and I've just started reading it. Good timing, since I've already lost steam in my proposed refresh of the house for 2017.

      Love those bedtime reads--I've got a Nero Wolfe novel going right now, and I'm rereading Paris Letters after finishing A Paris Year.

      Delete
    3. Nice to know I am not alone in fighting the decluttering/refresh war, Kathy. I finished the Peter Walsh book and have moved on to 'The Joy of Less' by Francine Jay. It has some great ideas. Unfortunately, I can't be bothered to get out of my chair to implement them. The story of my life...

      Delete
  2. I just bought these three as an e-book package. I'm glad you liked the first one. That gives me more incentive to read it after I finish The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths. I was hoping the Pot Thief books would be good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joan. These are light and lively. A little along the lines of Archy McNally - without the wealth. My type of bedtime read. Hope you enjoy them as well.

      Delete
    2. I've only recently discovered Archy McNally and am reading my way through those. My kind of bedtime reading, too.

      Delete
    3. I enjoyed the first seven of the McNally books that were written by Sanders. After he died, Vincent Lardo took over and wrote the next (and final) six. I read one of his and didn't like Archy as much.

      Delete