Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Square Books - Bookstore of the Year

Because one can never have
too many book bags!

Publishers Weekly has named Square Books as its 2013 Bookstore of the Year.

This popular store, established in 1979, graces the square in the center of historic Oxford, Mississippi and has grown to include two sisters - Off-Square Books and Square Books, Jr. 

I am delighted to be able to write that I visited Square Books on the Grand Southern Literary Tour and in my giddiness to be there got the autograph of Allen Austin, bookseller extraordinaire. He was the first to sign the autograph book that I thrust into booksellers' hands as I met them along the way. Just for fun, you know? I asked each signer to recommend a favorite book. Allen's was The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I must report that I have not followed up on his suggestion. 

In other news, my copy of Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell arrived in the mail from Robie Books the other day. I finally opened it this morning and was immediately caught up in Lady Emily Leslie and her family's boisterous arrival at church. Ms. Thirkell has such a delightful way of introducing the quirks of her characters. I had to pull myself away, but I hope to curl up with the book later on this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment