Saturday, May 3, 2014

A New Harmony Photo Album


This is the 1840s Guest House where I spent a peaceful week in New Harmony, Indiana.


The cottage's screened-in side porch overlooks a garden and gazebo. I spent much of my time here reading, sketching, writing, and staring into space.


A shelf-top parade of teapot, sugar bowl, and creamers in the kitchen.


The cottage's sunny desk.



The living room had a working fireplace. The wall covering (I think those flowers are peonies) is not wallpaper but is a cloth material with a little padding underneath. The wooden floors creaked pleasantly - an added bonus.



The comfy four-poster bed was so high that I had to leap into it at night! 


The fragrant lilac bush outside my bedroom window.


More lilacs. They were in bloom all over the village.


A view from the walking path along the banks of the Wabash River.



A friendly, folk-art woman on the lawn near the Atheneum, New Harmony's visitor's center.


A centerpiece of sculpture in one of the many quiet parks. I couldn't walk very far without coming across a pleasant place to sit and rest a spell.


The Working Men's Institute was founded in 1838 with its mission to provide useful knowledge to working men and their families. Its home here, erected in 1894, is the oldest continuously operating public library in Indiana. I stopped in to do research on identifying the flowers in the cottage's garden. The building also houses a museum, historical archive, and a rare book collection.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely and serene place that appears to be. I'd be in heaven with all those lilacs! It gets harder and harder to find peaceful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Harmony is very calming, Joan. One could walk from one side of 'town' to the other in 15 minutes. Most folks drive electric golf carts around. I rented one for a couple of hours and found that touring at a stately speed is just my, well, speed.

      Delete
  2. How completely charming and delightful it looks. Just the thing for soothing the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite rejuvenating, Kathy. I miss the quiet already.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place to spend time! I've never heard of New Harmony. You do write the best calming posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the place to be, Kat, for relaxing and spending time outdoors in peaceful places.

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful. Lately, I've been looking for more places to write. I live in Indiana, so this wouldn't be too far away! Do you have more informaton about the place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melanie. New Harmony is in the southwestern part of the state near the Illinois border off of Interstate 64. It was founded as a Utopian community in the early 1800s. Very historic, very low-key, and very small. There is an inn (through which I rented the cottage), a couple of restaurants, a shop or two and peaceful places to sit and stare. It is the perfect place for a retreat of any kind!

      Delete
    2. Oh, my! I just looked it up, and it's almost 6 hours from South Bend, where I live. That might be a bit far right now, but perhaps later in the summer. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Well, Melanie, it is only a two hour drive for me which makes it the perfect getaway. Just far enough, but not too far. Hope you make it there sometime. I think it will be worth the trip!

      Delete