Friday, April 7, 2017

Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman

22718727

I love a scavenger hunt. Unfortunately, I have only ever been on one. It was for adults. We divided into teams and were provided with a list of objects to find in the neighborhood. There were no clues or puzzles - just a straight up list (although there also may have been a glass or two of wine involved). 

Anyway, it was great fun which is why Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman immediately appealed to me. I am only a couple of chapters into the story of Emily and her friend James who become caught up in a mystery of puzzles and clues and books. 

What's not to like?

Emily's family has just moved to San Francisco -- her parents have set out on a mission to live in all 50 states. She has never lived in one place long enough to develop any deep friendships and has sought solace in books. Book Scavenger, an online site, connects people and books. Books are hidden and clues are posted on the site. Emily has been participating for years - hiding books, finding books, and earning points. Oh, and reading along the way.

It turns out that the very day the family arrives in San Francisco, the creator of Book Scavenger, Garrison Griswold, is on his way to an event to announce an exciting new game when he is attacked and ends up in the hospital in a coma. 

Emily, who is 12 and was hoping to meet Mr. Griswold, is heartbroken, afraid there will be no more Book Scavenger hunts. But things begin to look up when she makes the acquaintance of James who lives in her building and who also loves ciphers and secret codes. Emily introduces James to the online adventure and the chase is on.

Not only is this a tale about books and friendship, the reader also gets a guided tour of San Francisco and learns a bit of literary history. Emily's father is a fan of the Beat Generation authors and there is a visit to City Lights bookstore. Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold-Bug plays a prominent part in the story as well.

As it turns out, there is actually a Book Scavenger website and books are hidden and found and recorded on the site just like in the book. There is a listing for one hidden here in Louisville, but it is dated from last August so I am not sure that it will still be around. I have solved the clue and will check out the location and report back if I find it.

The game is afoot.

6 comments:

  1. Decades ago, my husband surprised me with a scavenger hunt around our house. It was completely out of character for him to write short verses to direct me from one hiding place to another in a search for Easter candy. You can imagine how touched and delighted I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fun, Joan! A lovely gift. Hope you found all the treats!

      Delete
  2. I would have loved this book as a kid! I would have loved being able to go on a bookish scavenger hunt even more. :) And since I'm still a kid at heart, I'll be checking this one out to read as soon as possible. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Lark, with this book you get to be a kid again! Its puzzles and clues are great fun and the main character Emily doesn't suffer fools gladly. I hope you enjoy it. Maybe it will inspire you to start your own book scavenger hunt...

      Delete
  3. How much fun is that? The book sounds delightful, and I love the whole idea of a book scavenger hunt. Will have to look up the website and see if there are any in the Tampa Bay area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy. I wish I had thought of this! Let me know if you find anything. I haven't been to look for the book 'hidden' in Lville. I feel like it is probably gone. The clue indicated it was in a pretty popular place.

      Delete