Monday, December 31, 2018

To All the Books I've Loved Before

Image result for blown out candle and a book


December 31, 2018

Dear Lovely Readers,

The time has come to close the book and extinguish the flame here at Belle, Book, and Candle.  My first post was seven years ago on January 1, 2012 and this is my one thousandth entry. As I do appreciate a tidy ending, it is fitting that I stop now.

Because of my immersion in books and bookish things these past years, I have read wider and had more experiences than if I had just been toddling along reading hither and yon. There is no way to recap seven years of writing other than to say that I have read many books, met numerous authors (I am fortunate to live in a city that values books and their creators), attended book fairs and other literary events, visited writers' homes and intriguing bookstores during two Grand Southern Literary Tours, spent luscious hours in libraries, bought a multitude of books, and added a terrific number of titles to my reading list thanks to your informed suggestions.

You have been with me on multiple retreats to the Abbey of Gethsemani and times spent in New Harmony, Indiana. I cherish the friendships I have made here. It has been a pleasure making your acquaintance and knowing that I am not alone in my obsession with books. I am happy that I could share my experiences with you all.

Thank you. My life is richer because of you. 

Happy reading,
Belle


P.S. Believe me, I won't stop reading or attending literary gatherings. I hope you won't either. I would love it if we kept in touch by email (bellebookandcandle[at]hotmail[dot]com).

8 comments:

  1. I'm sad to see your lovely blog end. I've so enjoyed reading your posts over the years and chatting with you, however briefly, about the books you've read. I'll miss you. Good luck with your future plans. I wish for you all the best in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lark. You have been one of my biggest supporters and I was always cheered to read your comments. It was a big decision for me to 'blow out the candle' here and I will miss the book connections that I have made with you and others over the years. Please stay in touch via email! Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
    2. I'd love to stay in touch through email...just so I can hear what good books you've been reading. :)

      Delete
  2. I will miss your blog, Belle--I've enjoyed your posts and made the acquaintance of many a fine book because of you (and your readers' comments). But I'll definitely stay in touch with you--I enjoy our book and art talk too much to let you slip away :).

    Congratulations on your 1000th post, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy, for your generous words and encouragement. Yes, we will definitely keep in touch so we can continue to share our reading and arting adventures. I appreciate your steadfast commenting here over the years and grateful to have your friendship.

      Delete
  3. A few readers emailed that they were having trouble leaving a comment, so I have copied them here. For the historical record I wanted them to be included.

    FROM PENNY:

    Dear Belle,
    I am having trouble posting comments on some blogs, including yours, but wanted you to know that I just saw your 1,000th, and last, entry.
    I will certainly miss your posts, insights, recommendations, and reading about your retreats and encounters. I am sorry to see the end of Belle, Book and Candle. I do understand, however, and I truly wish you the very best.
    With gratitude,
    Penny
    Life on the Cutoff

    FROM JOAN:

    Hi Belle,
    I just read your farewell post. I’ll miss your posts, but I understand why you’re stopping. I plan to check in with you every now and then for a chat.
    Best wishes for a wonderful 2019!
    Joan

    P.S. My posts still don’t show up on your blog, hence the e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you've closed this blog. I've always loved your writing, plus it makes me calm down because you have humor and a kind of spiritual thing going on.

    But I know it's easy to tire of blogging, and 1,000 posts is a lot. Here's to Bell, Book, and Candle, one of the best blogs!

    ReplyDelete