Sunday, May 6, 2012

Loose Diamonds



A tidy tome is Loose Diamonds, a collection of memorable and funny stories from the life of Amy Ephron. Yes, she is one of the famous Ephron sisters - Nora, Delia, and Hallie.

This is Amy's first book of non-fiction although she has written six books of fiction. I could tell she was a fiction writer. Her breathless, head-long narratives kept me flipping pages. She writes in a confidential, nothing-left-out style. I felt as if she were talking just to me, so personal are her stories.

I think my favorite was "Champagne by the Case" about a friend of Amy's that was a kept woman and living the high life. The relationship didn't turn out well, but when life was good, it was very, very good.

In these stories there are visits to Saks, burglaries, children, step-children, husbands, ex-husbands, lost jewelry, houses, tropical birds, a Filofax, and the arrest of a possible terrorist on an airplane. Quite a roller-coaster ride.

Since I have read some of her sister Nora's essays, I am a little familiar with the Beverly Hills background and unbringing of the girls. Quite an unusal and talented family. Quirky, but then what family isn't.



No comments:

Post a Comment