Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Beach Bag of Highbrow Books



Highbrow Books for the Beach. How could I resist taking a look at these suggestions posted on Flavorwire. Although I won't be going to the seashore any time soon, you know that I can't resist a book list. 

Of the twenty books recommended to get lost in on a beach towel, there were five that intrigued me. 

Night Film by Barbara Pessl: A literary thriller.

Broken Harbor by Tanya French: Another literary thriller.

Equilateral by Ken Kalfus: A tale of stars and Mars based on an historical incident of a 19th century astronomer trying to make contact with life on other planets.

The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell: A black comedy of murder in Prohibition-era Manhattan.

Babayaga by Toby Barlow: Spies, intrigue and witches in 1950s Paris.

Check out the whole list. Have you read any of those 
recommended? What books will you be putting in your beach bag this summer?

4 comments:

  1. Broken Harbour is superb. Tana French simply gets better with each book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I am not familiar with any of these authors so your recommendation is a good place to begin!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these. I'll probably just stand in front of the new books shelf at the library and pick an author I'm not familiar with. Since I'll not be near the beach if I find I don't like it I can go back for something else. Let us know what you think if you read any of the books on the list!

    Joyce in KS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library only carries the middle three titles on the list. I am in no hurry to get to reading these but perhaps I will try your method of choosing something new, Joyce.

      Delete