Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Grand Southern Tour


Oxford, Mississippi Courthouse

I have been wanting to visit Oxford, Mississippi for quite a while now with its courthouse square bursting with restaurants and shops. And best of all, book stores. 

Although favorite sons William Faulkner and John Grisham hail from these parts, I have actually only read one book of Faulkner's and none of Grisham's. That is not what attracts me. I am a sucker for small, Southern college towns (Ole Miss is here) and so Oxford has been on my radar for years.

Thanks to this blog, I now I have created a reason to go: a grand Southern Tour if you will of bookstores along Route 40 through Nashville, Jackson and Memphis, Tennessee with my point of destination being Oxford.

Ms. Google tells me there are independent bookstores all along the way. BookmanBookwoman in Nashville, the Book Rack in Jackson, and Burke's in Memphis. Once I get to Oxford there will be Square Books. I am sure to find others as well.

It is a three-hour drive to Nashville from where I live and another three hours to Memphis. Then from Memphis to Oxford is about 90 minutes. But of course, this is a Grand Tour, and so I will be taking my time and stopping and savoring each town. And buying books, no doubt. 

I will keep you posted on my plans. I am thinking April when the South will be abloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment