Monday, October 8, 2012

The Murder Room by P.D. James



I have tried three mysteries from the library - new authors all - and have returned them unread. Well, maybe I read three to five pages of each. Too many words, too many uninteresting words, too many words taking too long to get to the point. I was bored before I had barely begun.

The premise of one that I downloaded to my Nook had promise. It was about a librarian in a small Midwestern town. But her policeman boyfriend kept calling her "Babe" which irritated me (I don't think he ever called her by her actual name). To make matters worse, this librarian was "traditionally built" as Mma Ramatswe would say, so every time he called out "Yes, Babe" I pictured Babe the Pig.

In circumstances such as this, it is best to turn to the professionals. I turned to P.D. James. I have been remiss in recent years in keeping up with her Scotland Yard Inspector Adam Dalgliesh so was excited to see that his 12th adventure, The Murder Room, was available as an e-book from the library.

The book has to do with a private museum in London dedicated to the time between the wars. The three children and trustees of the museum's founder are at odds with one another over signing the lease which would extend the life of the museum. (Imagine siblings not agreeing.) One wants to close the place and the other two are determined to keep it open. I suspect the dissenting voter will soon become the victim.

The museum has a tidy collection of first editions and art from the 1920s and '30s. And, one of the rooms of the museum just happens to be dedicated to murderers and their victims from that time in history.  

I haven't seen a body yet, so I don't know any more than that, but with Ms. James I know the puzzle is in capable hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment