Thursday, June 18, 2015

British Library Crime Classics


Image result for death on the cherwell

Knowing that I am always on the lookout for a new/old mystery to read, Tullik, one of my most erudite and sharp-eyed readers, sent me a notice about the British Library Crime Classics series. All on the heels of the History of Mystery class that I have been attending.


Image result for the lake district murder

The series includes Golden Age mysteries that the British Library has rediscovered and republished. The covers alone are worth the price of the book (each paperback costs about $12). You can order them from the BL although I don't know how long it would take for them to arrive in America. I do see that some are available in the US from Amazon (of course), and others are due to be available in the next few months. They are or will be available for Kindle but then one wouldn't have the lovely covers to gaze upon.


Image result for murder on the underground

In further news, on June 20, the BL is having a conference, The Bodies From the Library, with all sorts of discussions and sessions on the greats from the The Golden Age: Allingham, Christie, and Carr. You would want to attend if... 


...you like puzzles - the body found in the middle of a snow-covered lawn with no footprints, the corpse found in a room locked from the inside; unbreakable alibis and unexpected murders; books with floor-plans of the manor and timetables of the suspects' movements; surprise solutions on the last page, the last paragraph, the last line.

Oh, yes. I love all of that and I do so want to attend, and would be thrilled to buy the entire series from the British Library, but it is short notice and airfares are quite high. Alas, I suppose I will have to wait and enjoy the books from my own armchair.


Image result for capital crimes london mysteries

There are 20 or so books in the series, of which I have only given you a sampling of the colorful covers. You can see them all here.

Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. I bought the first six when alerted to their existence & subsequently the second six which are sitting in a 'you will read me one day' stack ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am jealous, Anne, that you already own twelve of these! And here I thought I had discovered something new. I should know better...

      Sorry to be so slow in responding to your comment, but have been out of town without the computer.

      Delete
  2. Drooling. Wouldn't it be fun to be able to hop on a plane and go to the conference, then pick up the whole set of books? And while we're in England, visit the Persephone shop and buy a few more books? Then find ourselves a pretty park to read and sketch in? Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are delicious, aren't they, Kathy? And yes, your impromptu trip to England sounds wonderful. I would do it exactly as you planned it.

      Sorry to be so slow in responding to your comment, but have been out of town without the computer.

      Delete
  3. These books are great inside and out. I love the covers, but most of the ones I have are on my Kindle. I do feel I'm missing out by buying them this way. The covers look like some of the old travel posters, which I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joan. Yes, travel posters! No wonder I love the covers. I hadn't connected them to vintage posters, but you are so right. I am looking forward to reading them. I hope the mysteries are as delightful as the covers.

      Sorry to be so slow in responding to your comment, but have been out of town without the computer.

      Delete