Saturday, June 30, 2012

June Recap and Paris in July


Here is the June recap:
Books read: 8
Books started and not finished: 3 - Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt; Eye of the God by Ariel Allison (Nook); Frost at Christmas by R.F. Wingfield
Books abandoned: Dead Tease by Victoria Houston
Authors met: 1 - Gail Collins

In other news, I signed up for the Paris in July event started by Book Bath and Thyme for Tea. This is its third year and my first. The point is to read, eat, watch and listen to anything that has to do with Paris and France. I already have one book and a cooking event planned. I am excited about participating.

I have visited Paris twice; most recently in September 2010. I spent the week walking everywhere. My toes had bruises. But that is definitely the best way to see this beautiful city. The first time I visited, in 1994, I took the Metro a lot because I was jumping from one famous site to the next. I saw many individual places but missed the big picture.

This last time I also visited Monet's gardens at Giverney. I spent hours sitting, sketching, and just relishing the stunning fall French weather. I had seen so many photos of the house and garden, and of course Monet's paintings as well, that I felt like I had been there before. It was a glorious adventure.

So I am inspired by the Paris in July event. Be prepared for many stories about my times in the City of Light.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely looking forward to reading your posts for Paris in July! One of the places I wanted to get to badly when I was in Paris was Monet's garden, but unfortunately I didn't get to it. I wonder what you'll be cooking for your French cooking event ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the French cooking event is something I signed up for a while ago. There is a woman in town who offers cooking classes in her home. The classes are small and afterwards, the 'students' enjoy a dinner party featuring the prepared feast.
    I signed up for a French meal - Coq au Vin, Rustic Country Style Bread, a typical French Salad and French Macaroons. Ooh La La!

    I can barely wait.

    ReplyDelete