Sunday, July 1, 2012

Paris en juillet (Paris in July)

Un petit cafe, s'il vous plait!

Temperature in Paris: 64 degrees
Temperature chez moi: 100 degrees

Bonjour and welcome to Paris in July at Belle, Book, and Candle or as they say en français: Belle, livre, et la bougie.

In preparation for this month-long event, I scoured my own bookshelves for Francophile readings. I found:

Paris Was Ours: Thirty-two Writers Reflect on the City of Light edited by Penelope Rowland;

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway;

Monet at Giverny by Caroline Holmes,

For a Flower Album by Collette with watercolors by Manet; and,

Paris Was a Woman: Portraits From the Left Bank by Andrea Weiss.


I also discovered two home decor books: The French Inspired Home, with French General by Kaari Meng; and, Bringing It Home: France by Cheryl MacLachlan. These I will leave out on the living room table open to the most gorgeous photos. Just to inspire me.

I found a couple of English/French dictionaries and how-to-learn French textbooks as well.

As you can see, I already have a touch of Francomania to go along with my bibliomania.

I do believe I will begin with Paris Was Ours and then dive into A Moveable Feast which will be a reread for me but oh so perfect for this event.

I took a look at Wikipedia under French films and there are lists by year (from 1892) so quite a bit to choose from. I do love French Kiss with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan. Not only the movie but the soundtrack.

And then I have planned a visit to a new French restaurant in town and I signed up for a cooking class where I will (perhaps) learn to make coq au vin.

Quoi! Only 31 days in July??


4 comments:

  1. So glad you are joining us for Paris in July! I'm especially looking forward to hearing about your trip to the French restaurant...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bienvenue! Thanks for joining us for Paris in July 2012. It's going to be an awesome month. Im so excited!! We'll keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete