Friday, July 27, 2012

Swording it up in Paris

I am so surprised at how fun it is reading The Three Musketeers. There are many more stolen kisses, lost letters, intrigues, adventures and witty writing than I ever would have expected. And everyone is so polite...even when one is getting ready to stab another in a duel.

And although many of the Paris streets mentioned are gone, there are still plenty les rues and landmarks to keep the reader grounded in the city.

I can see why movie makers are so attracted to the story.

I love Michael York at D'Artagnan in the 1973 film version and think the casting of the others in that movie is just about perfect. There has never been a better Cardinal Richelieu than Charlton Heston. Luckily, fans were treated to a sequel in 1974.

Michael York as D'Artagnan
1973

I looked at the cast of the movie made in 1993 with Chris O'Donnell as D'Artagnan. This one is by Disney and features Keifer Sutherland and Charlie Sheen - neither of whom is a favorite of mine. I watched it long ago, but now am curious to watch it again just to see how the story is handled.

Chris O'Donnell as D'Artagnan
1993


Then there is the 2011 version with Matthew Macfadyen (he of MI-5 fame) as Athos. This version is much more visual (it was filmed in 3-D) but alas I watched in on my laptop so missed much of the impact. But it was still pretty spectacular.

Matthew Macfadyen as Athos
2011

Do you have a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment