Sunday, September 22, 2013

Announcing Another Literary Tour

Another Literary Tour!
I am making plans for another literary tour next month. In The Grand Southern Literary Tour of 2012, I headed to the south and a bit west. This time, I am heading south and to the east. I haven't actually named this tour yet, but the itinerary is in the works. 

First Stop:
St. Augustine, Florida

My first ever visit to America's oldest city founded in 1565. It hosts a book festival but, unfortunately, I will miss it by a few weeks. The town seems to be quite bookish and boasts the grave in Evergreen Cemetery of the British writer and illustrator Randolph Caldecott (1846-1886). He only lived in St. Augustine a few months before he died. The Caldecott Medal is given annually to the most distinguished children's picture book of the year. St. Augustine's main library dedicated its children's room to him. 

As a bonus, there is a chocolate factory in the town. Ah, bonbons and books!

Second Stop:
Savannah, Georgia

I have visited Savannah twice but have never actually been to any of its literary sites. It is Flannery O'Connor's (1925-1964) childhood home. American poet and novelist Conrad Aiken (1889-1973) was born in Savannah and is buried in Bonaventure Cemetery. Perhaps most famous is the Mercer Williams House featured in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. I plan on watching the movie tonight as part of my research.

Third Stop:
Chimney Rock, North Carolina

I am going to take in down a notch and stay in this little town nestled in the Smoky Mountains. Close by is Asheville, home to Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938). A little bit south is Flat Rock, the location of Connemara, Carl Sandburg's (1878-1967) home. Both are places I have visited and I especially liked the Sandburg house which sits on top of a great hill. Inside, it looks as if the Pulitzer Prize-winning poet has just stepped out to the yard and will be back in a minute. His wife Lillian donated the home and its contents to the National Park Service. Piles of papers and magazines are everywhere. And his book collection. Wow!

En route, there will definitely be stops in bookstores and libraries. And, I am sure there will be surprise finds along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that sounds like fun! I've been to all three cities, but have not seen any of those literary destinations except for the house in Savannah that featured in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (If you get the chance, eat at The Pink House--food was fantastic and service was outstanding.)

    My husband and I are taking a little trip to New England at the end of October, and I hope to make a literary stop or two. We have our plane tickets (flying into Boston) and rental car, but are still in the planning stages for where to go--any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I ate at The Pink House many years ago. My hotel is on Reynolds Square which is just across the street. Lucky me!

      OMG, there are many, many literary places near Boston...Amherst and Concord come to mind. And Edith Wharton's home is around there somewhere. Google 'literary sites in New England' and you will find them all. Sounds like a great trip.

      Delete