Friday, February 10, 2012

The Grand Southern Tour - update

Eudora Welty

Well, already my Southern book store tour has gotten grander. I forgot about Jackson, Mississippi, home of Eudora Welty. Jackson is three hours south of Memphis.  I think the thing to do is go to Jackson from Memphis and come back through Oxford.

Have been on line checking out hotels. I like to stay downtown where the action is, not out in the suburbs where every street corner looks the same.

The January issue of Southern Living had an essay by Rick Bragg about books and lo, and behold, there was a photo of Welty's library. (link) I will look forward to visiting it. I love the books piled on the couch.

And speaking of libraries, a friend reminded me today that I must visit the main libraries in each of the cities on the trip. Absolutely.

See what I mean: Grander and grander.

No comments:

Post a Comment