Sunday, March 10, 2013

Help, Thanks, Wow by Anne Lamott

Anne Lamott
This is a brief review of a brief book. Anne Lamott's treatise Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers takes a look at her pared-down prayer life that consists of:

Help: When things are bad.

Thanks: When things are good. 

Wow: When the abundance of beauty in the world overwhelms her.

Ms. Lamott writes headlong and breathless throughout the book's 102 pages and her words can make you laugh and cry at the same time. This is not the first book that takes the reader along with her as she creates a spiritual life for herself. Others include Traveling Mercies, Plan B, and Grace (Eventually).

You can read Help, Thanks, Wow in an hour. Then go forth, read Bird by Bird (her book on writing), and live your life with an appreciation of the good, the bad, and the beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Why I haven't read Help, Thanks, Wow is beyond me, Belle. It has been on my book radar screen for a bit, I made sure to let a friend know about it, yet, it has not yet met my eyes - and I will remedy that soon. I would love to hear her speak some time.

    I'm also intrigues by The Moviegoer. Your review of Walker Percy's book has caught my interest, and I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny. I really do like "Bird by Bird" the best, but I usually pick up Ms. Lamott's latest. I thought that at $18 (Yikes!) this one was a bit pricey for 102 pages. Glad I got it from the library!

      Delete