Sunday, March 3, 2013

Kinsey and Me by Sue Grafton

Sue Grafton
author of Kinsey and Me

One of my goals for 2013 is to read short stories. As luck would have it, Sue Grafton, author of the ABC mystery series starring Kinsey Millhone, recently published a book of short stories featuring her fearless detective.

I can report that the nine stories that make up the first part of Kinsey and Me (2012) are just as intriguing, well-written, and witty as Ms. Grafton's full-length mysteries.  

To come though, are the thirteen stories that make up the Me section of the book. These are stories featuring Kit Blue, a younger version of Sue Grafton, written in the ten years following her mother's death as, she writes, "my way of coming to terms with my grief for her."

Both of her parents were alcoholics, she reveals, and her childhood lacked supervision allowing her freedom to read and wander at will. But that freedom came with a cost.

As Ms. Grafton is from my hometown and lives here parttime (and also in Montecito, California), I am curious to read these last stories about her experiences growing up as seen through the eyes of her character, Kit Blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment