Saturday, December 1, 2012

Henry V

Kenneth Branagh as
Shakespeare's Henry V

I never know where my reading will take me. This afternoon I have watched the first half of the 1989 movie version of William Shakespeare's Henry V starring Kenneth Branagh (he of brooding Kurt Wallander fame).

The story of Henry V, his invasion of France in the Middle Ages, and his victory at the Battle of Agincourt played a large part in Mrs. Queen Takes the Train and my interest was piqued.

It turns out that Henry was a bit of a wild child in his youth and hung about with some low-life companions that he rejected when he came to the throne. Once he became king, he turned into a decisive and inspiring leader. 

I am trying to follow along in my one-volume edition of 
William Shakespeare The Complete Works but some of the dialogue has been left out of the movie script. The movie is all very dark and atmospheric. But then it would be as it is about war. 

I never would have guessed when I picked up the novel about Mrs. Queen that I would end up on the battlefields of France. 


No comments:

Post a Comment